Sunday, January 26, 2014

Product Haul! Paula's Choice: Skin Recovery

Ever since I started haunting the SkincareAddiction subreddit, I've been hearing about Paula's Choice. Her reviews of skincare and makeup are incredibly clinical about exactly how good a product is for your skin, and why. A lot of the things I have reviewed on here aren't reviewed very well on the Beautypedia section of her website, but the information that she gives in the product breakdown is vital to my opinion. I especially look to the website to see if there are any fragrances or other irritants in a product I am about to buy (much of the stuff I have reviewed so far I have gotten as gifts).

It was time that I take the plunge and actually get some of her products!

The site recommended to me the Skin Recovery line, which is formulated for dry/very dry skin, redness, and eczema. Bonus: a lot of the products in that line also are recommended for wrinkles. I'm starting to get some lines around my eyes and some smile lines, even though I'm only 24. Mom got smile lines around then, but I think the fine eye wrinkles are simply from dehydrated skin.

The entire line was a little more than I wanted to spend so soon after Christmas (and of course my boyfriend talked me into splitting a PlayStation 4 with him, so I was pretty broke), so even though it was a 5-step program of cleanser, toner, exfoliator, serum, and moisturizer, I ended up getting the cleanser, toner, and moisturizer to start with. There are two moisturizers in the line, one with sunscreen for the day, and one without for night. I got the night one, because I'm outside for maybe 3-4 minutes a day, and that's walking to and from my car. I have sunscreen for when I'm going to actually be outside 15+ minutes, but that's rare. With the three products, I got the free over $50 shipping, and I got to choose 3 samples. Here's what I got:

Paula's Choice - Skin Recovery: Softening Cream Cleanser

The first time I used this, it was like 3:00 in the afternoon, and I'd been wearing an occlusive (yay Albolene!) all day. It tore right through the grease, but didn't feel like much other than a lotion on my skin. This morning, I forgot to wash my face (when you have to be at work at 6am, some things get deprioritized), and by the time I got home, my skin was rough and flaking. I'm not gonna lie -- after I put on Aquaphor, I rubbed, and I rubbed, and I ended up tearing right into it. It's super super sensitive right now, like after a chemical peel gone wrong. The cleanser stung like all hell when I first rubbed it on. It cooled right off, though, and to be fair, everything stings when your skin is that raw. The fact that it was so forgiving on my worst, just-raked skin is huge.

I only had a little mascara and the tiniest touch of foundation on -- if you have some stubborn eye makeup, you might want to try a makeup remover first. On the site, it had a couple of reviews saying that they needed quite a bit to remove their makeup. The point of this line is to nourish, so there's no point in wasting that nourishment on trying to remove liquid liner and mascara.

Price: $16.00 for 8 oz.



Paula's Choice - Skin Recovery: Enriched Calming Toner

This stuff calmed my skin right down after I used the cleanser that second time. The only other toner I've used was the Rose Dew Toner by Annemarie Borlind, and that had alcohol as its second ingredient. The PA one wasn't astringent like the AB was at all. Alcohol is a huge irritant to skin, not to mention troublesome skin like mine. I remember that when I used the Rose Dew collection my skin was the best it had been yet, so the fact that this toner is actually moisturizing and not irritating is very encouraging.

Price: $18.00 for 6.4 oz.



Paula's Choice - Skin Recovery: Replenishing Moisturizer

This tube is small. It's small enough to take on airplanes. I was quite sparing in using this, though I definitely needed more moisture. The cream itself is nice; it feels quite thick and emollient going on, and it absorbs like a dream. That said, my skin drank it up and I put on a second coat, which it drank up... I ended up using a layer of Lierac face oil and then some of my Lierac Hydrachrono (that always makes me feel quenched). The first time I used it, I ended up putting all that extra stuff afterwards, and because I went ice skating afterwards, I needed more by the time I got home. The second time, I used my serum sample pack beforehand, and OH MAN did it make a difference. I put two coats on and felt quenched right away, though after about 10 minutes I put on another layer of cream, this time the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula. It feels more moisturized that it has in ages. My only complaint: the price for the money. I'm thinking I'll go lighter on this and use more of the Norwegian Formula for the moisturizer part of my routine, for the sake of my wallet. I do want to put this on, because of the nutrition that I'm not getting with the Norwegian Formula, but I can't put enough of this alone on to really feel quenched.

Price: $24.00 for 2 oz.


SAMPLES~


Paula's Choice - Clinical: Instant Calm Advanced Redness Relief

Man oh man, did this sample convince me to buy this. Because I am prone to allergies and colds, my upper lip, right under my nose, is very often bright red. I blow my nose, it flakes like crazy, and then all that's left is a hypersensitive red patch that makes me look like a rosaceous Hitler. Sometimes it even breaks the healthy skin, so it oozes a little. It's basically gorgeous. And that's not my only problem with redness. I work in a grocery store bakery, so half the time I am working next to a hot oven, and the other I'm in a deep freezer (kept at -10 degrees F - about 0 degrees F) getting items that we ship in. Either one of these would make someone a bit red, but with my sensitive skin? I'm tomato-red all the time at work. Some of that might be attributed to me wearing occlusives all day on my face so I don't start flaking, but as my skin has gotten worse the past year or so, I've definitely gotten redder. People will ask me if I've been out in the sun (ha! I'm a cave dweller) or if I'm okay. I'm all done with that, which is why I chose this sample.

I haven't tested this in the bakery field yet (though I'm hoping it'll at least help!), but I turned my beautiful, slightly sallow white almost immediately after I was done washing and moisturizing -- something that can take up to 30 minutes for me. I've used it twice, and I'm very hopeful. I'm going to buy the full size sometime soon.

Price: $18.00 for 4 oz.



Paula's Choice - Skin Recovery: Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum

I'm going to be honest. Even though I only got the barest of bones of the recommended set to begin with, I probably wouldn't have bought this unless I got the sample. Serums, for me, have tended to be watery, milky-looking liquids that I haven't really felt did too much. The most I ever liked a serum was a skin-smoothing serum meant for fine wrinkles that I used when I was just going into high school, and I was only using it because my mom bought it and it was in the bathroom. This was an extremely thick, yellowy, oily ooze. The second that it went on, I thought that this might be all the moisture that some people would even need. It hydrated to the point of radiance, on the spot. I won't lie, I was actually floored by the difference this made. The first time that I used the moisturizer in the line, it didn't do the trick. Nowhere near. After this, though, even my extraordinarily flaky, thirsty skin was sated with the moisturizer. I'm definitely going to end up getting this.

Price: $28.00 for 1 oz.


Paula's Choice - Moisture Boost: Hydrating Treatment Cream

I got this because I had a third sample that I could get for free with my >$50 purchase, and nothing else was really jumping out at me. I knew that the moisturizer I bought was only 2 oz, so I thought I'd supplement it with this. The Skin Recovery line is so nice, though, that I think I'll let this sample sit for a little while I pump some nutrients into my skin. When I end up trying it, I'll let you know.



The last skincare regimen I really followed was the Annemarie Borlind Rose Dew for Skin Hydration Line. I used it when I first entered high school, and I remember really liking it. I fell out of the regimen, though, and afterwards I couldn't find it anywhere (in those days, I had no credit cards, haha). Soon it fell out of mind. I do remember having increased hydration using that system, but looking at it now, I see all kinds of irritants that my skin wouldn't be able to handle. I've been having a poor couple of years, skin-wise, and I'm so ready to change that. The CeraVe system didn't really do enough for me, and I'm hoping that the intense nutrients that the PA's line has will make a serious difference. I'll give it time, but I'll definitely update with my results.

I'm fairly confident in my choice of line, due to the lack of fragrance and other irritants, the way that it goes onto my skin, the lack of intense red reaction I have to it, and their openness about their ingredients and what each of them do. It was founded by Paula, a woman who, initially, would go and review other skin care products, and evaluate them based on their ingredients and effectiveness. With all of her experience in what worked and didn't, she started this line. This makes me more confident than many "dermatologist-approved" brands, because dermatologists are educated in skin diseases, not the many ingredients that could irritate your skin. Every time I go to them, they have the same old recommendations, even though I've personally found better products. I don't want to use steroids unless I absolutely have to, because they're awful for your body, long-term. My hips have actually changed shape due to too many courses of oral steroids. They can't keep up with the ever-changing, ever-lying world of skin care these days, and that's why I decided to start this blog in the first place.

I'll be updating soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment