Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review: Paula's Choice: Skin Recovery

So, after using the Skin Recovery system for a little while, I really like the results! I got the cleanser, toner, and moisturizer to begin with, and I got a sample of the serum. The website says that it's a 5-step system with cleanser, toner, exfoliator, serum, moisturizer (one for morning and one for evening. The only difference is that the morning moisturizer has SPF30). I didn't have enough money for the whole thing, and the sample of the collection was out of stock. I decided to just start with the basics.

See my Haul Post for pictures/more information!

The cleanser I really liked. It didn't burn at all, and only slightly stung the particularly ripped-up parts of my face. The stinging didn't last more than a few seconds, and the thick, milky texture made me feel like I was moisturizing while cleansing! It didn't feel stripping at all. It took my BB Cream right off, but I had a little harder time with my mascara. I'd definitely recommend using a gentle makeup remover (Thank you, Albolene!) beforehand for more stubborn eye makeup.

The toner was very different than toners I've used in the past. It was exactly the consistency and color of milk -- it wasn't a clear astringent. I could actually feel the moisturizing in this product, as well. So many toners are just glorified alcohol or witch hazel. They're super irritating and drying! This was the first toner that I can actually recommend for people with fragile, flaky, super dry skin like mine. It was hydrating and still got the remnants of dirt and other nasties off my face. Again, it only stung the really open parts of my skin, and even that faded momentarily.

I have mixed feelings about the moisturizer. It feels so thick and rich when it goes on, but I feel tight again after only a few minutes. You only get 2 oz for $24.00, so I don't really want to lather it on. I've been using an oil and my Lierac Hydrachrono to supplement the moisturization. I only bought the PM-suggested moisturizer, because as I said, I'm low on cash at the moment, and I'm only outside long enough to get in and out of my car. I'm thinking about getting the AM moisturizer as well, though, because I'm very sensitive to the sun. I will burn in 15 min or less, especially with all the emollients and petrolatum that I put on my face.

I'm not going to lie, I'm awful about washing my face in the morning. I've actually timed my alarm so that I get every second of snooze time possible before I roll out of bed, throw on clothes, put my hair up, and go to work. When you work at 6am and you're an incurable night owl, every moment counts! I usually end up putting a little lotion on before I head out, and then a heavier moisturizer and mascara at red lights on my way in to work. That said, I feel so moisturized and dewy when I use these before I sleep that I'm actually in pretty good shape in the morning when I'm rushing out the door.

I like to put some Albolene over the moisturizer to seal it in, and some Vaseline over my eyelids and on my upper lip (which is always irritated, dry, and super flaky due to forever blowing my nose in the cold weather) about an hour before bed. That gives it enough time to soak in, and I can reapply lotion or cream as needed before I sleep.

I also got samples of the Antioxidant Serum with Retinol and the Clinical: Advanced Redness Relief. I'm always so red at work, sometimes people ask me if I've gotten a sunburn or spent too much time under a sun lamp. It's so embarrassing! I suspect it's because I keep an occlusive (Albolene or Aquaphor) on my skin to keep it from flaking, and when I work, I work hard. I work hard enough that I'm running around constantly for 7-8 hours at a time, and I overheat. I don't think that the occlusive lets me sweat properly, so I end up just overheating and turning cherry red. I'm working on finding a moisturizer (or combination thereof) that lets my skin breathe, but no luck yet.

Anyway, the Redness Relief stung. It didn't fade quickly like the other products, either. It's supposed to be made of anti-irritants, but you don't want your products to sting! It means that they're irritating your skin, not that they're working. That said, after I used it, I used the moisturizer, and the stinging went right down. It did work as promised -- I looked much less red and I didn't turn into a tomato like I normally do after skincare (even touching my face with my fingers turn me red!). It's on my list of things to buy the full size of, but I'm not in a huge hurry. I have such a reputation for turning red at work that it's not my highest priority... how sad is that?

The Antioxidant serum was great. It felt like a super thick oil that I put on my skin. I got maybe three or four uses out of the packet, which was awesome for a free sample! It definitely gave my skin the extra moisture it needed, and made the moisturizer much more effective. I can see why it's supposed to be sold as a set. I ended up buying the serum because it was so moisturizing.

And that's my Paula's Choice Haul Review! Let me know what you guys think. What skin care regimen do you use? Do you like a certain line? I'm always up to try new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment