Saturday, February 15, 2014

Super Dry Winter Weather!

Us New Englanders have been having a pretty difficult winter! We've gotten three or four blizzards so far, but more importantly, we've been having truly nasty cold, dry weather. I think it's gotten above 25 degrees F about twice in the past two and a half months. My humidifier broke, too, so I've been in the coldest, driest weather in years with no sign of reprieve.

My skin is so upset!!



To combat the dryness, I've been patting water into my skin before I put my lotions and potions on, many of which I do before I leave for work, when I get home, and before I sleep. I also spot-moisturize between these times when I feel particularly dry or just when I think about it. I just can't get enough moisture, nutrients, or oil in my skin!

Here's what I've been doing lately. I've just been adding skincare product after skincare product to my routine... I know that the summertime is so much less painful, but I'm starting to feel a little hopeless.

I've been using my Paula's Choice skincare routine in the morning and at night, though I've stopped using the serum during the day. Using the retinol really helps cut down on my flaky spots, but if I use it more than once or twice a week (and even then, only a few drops for my whole face), it turns my face bright red for hours. It doesn't help that when I'm at work, I tend to turn red because I'm running around and going from super hot (next to the oven) to super cold (the walk-in freezer) in a matter of minutes. I'm dry and irritated to begin with! The days I've used it in the morning before work, I've actually had people ask if I'd vacationed in Florida recently because I'd "...tanned." How embarrassing. Because of that, I only do the serum the nights before I have a day off.

The serum, while it has retinol, really made the difference between feeling dry after I washed my face and feeling dewy, so I needed something else. I'd been using my Lierac Hydrachrono before the PC moisturizer, but I'd like to phase that out when I'm done with it. The jar packaging isn't hygienic, it's old (so the antioxidants are all expired), and it has fragrance. It still packs a moisture punch, though, so I'm happy to use it up. Even with both of those heavy duty moisturizers, though (and sometimes with two applications each), I still feel dry.

I started using the Argan Magic Argan Oil before and after my moisturizer, and that seems to help seal everything in. It doesn't help at all, though, when I'm in the middle of the day and I feel dry as a bone. I need some moisture in my skin for it to seal in. My skin feels so soft and moist when I use this to lock water into my face.

On my way to work, I've been putting Albolene on my face and forearms to combat flakiness for at least a little while, and I keep it in my car for when I'm on break or when I get out of work. I basically keep it near me at all times. It's also helpful because the skin on my upper lip tends to crack very badly, and Albolene and Aquaphor are basically the only things that don't make me feel like I'm tearing my skin even more when this happens. At the moment, I have a crack going into the upper left side of my lip (think the cracks you get on your knuckles when the weather's like this) as well as a crack on my right-hand "laugh line." Goy-geous.

When I'm at work, I've kept the argan oil in my purse and put it on over the Norwegian Hand Cream from Neutrogena.

On my body, I've been using The Body Shop Shea Body Butter, and it seems to be doing a pretty decent job. I'm not nearly as strict about keeping my body moisturized as my face, but it also doesn't flake or get irritated as often. My body is always dry, but since I wear long sleeves and pants almost all year round, there's very little sun damage, and the clothing helps keep some of my moisture in.

All of this just makes me more excited to go to Florida in March for spring break!

How are you guys fighting the winter weather?

No comments:

Post a Comment