Friday, February 7, 2014

Method: Allergies and Allergy-Proofing Your Home

People who have recurring eczema, especially since childhood, should get checked out for allergies. There's a documented link between allergies and eczema, because both are symptoms of the same immune system problems. If you can afford it, try to get a blood test from your GP for allergies, or see an allergist (even one time can help!). You may need a prescription antihistamine to keep your immune system at bay. This can help your eczema immensely.

If you find that you're allergic to anything, you'll want to get that out of your house immediately. Common allergies are to dust and mites, not to mention pets. If you're allergic to your pet but unwilling to get rid of him/her, you'll have to be extreme about cleanliness. Any hair should be vacuumed up immediately (sweeping can just push it back into the air). Dander (which is often what people are allergic to) comes right with the pet fur, so you'll need to make sure that someone else in your household brushes your pet often, if not daily. This removes dead hair and dander, making less shed in your home. For best results, have them do this outside. If you can't, have them do it in a room when you're not home, and then have them thoroughly vacuum the entire area.


Another thing that can help is putting a case on your mattress and pillow. Mites are a common allergen, and they can and do live in pillows and mattresses. To combat this, you can buy cases for both. I have used the same pillow case for years, and I only wash it every few months.


The mattress cover helps just as much, if not more. The both of these only cost a few dozen bucks each, and you can keep them for years and years. You can wash them with your clothes if you happen to spill a drink on them, or just want to clean them over time. I don't have very oily skin, nor do I keep drinks in bed, so I only wash the covers maybe once every three months or so. If you have very oily skin, you might want to wash the pillow cover more often, but they can take a whole bunch of gentle cycles. I don't think I've replaced mine yet.

I think that that makes them a fantastic deal! Now that I think about it, I think I'm going to take my pillow cover with me when I travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment